Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

Kara and I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

If you are missing loved ones, my heart goes out to you.


Christmas is an emotional time for my family. Three years ago, on the 30th we lost my grandfather due to complications after surgery. He was in the hospital the week of Christmas. The last day, I saw him alive was Christmas Eve 2007. He wasn't coherant but he knew I was in the room. He squeezed my hand and had tears in his eyes when I told him I loved him and wished him a Merry Christmas. He tried to talk, but couldn't due to the tubes and dry throat. The squeeze of his hand and the look on his face, told me all I needed to know.

I found out I was pregnant with Kara on the 23rd. I never got to share the news of my pregnancy with him. I was embarrased to tell him because he thought so highly of me. He was proud of the stand I took against the drug and alcohol abuse in the family. I was one of thew view who didn't take the wrong path in life.

Christmas' aren't the same anymore. We no longer hear the complaints of an old man wanting to hurry and eat so he can watch everyone open thier gifts. Instead we hear the laughs of two todders (Kara and Caleb) and I often wonder if Kara would be a grandpa's girl.

No comments: